The Power of the Immune System
IMMUNOe Health Centers focus on the immune system as a core basis to study various diseases, stemming from a proprietary diagnostic platform.
We believe in an integrated approach to treat the immune system, so each of our dedicated nurses and providers are specially trained and educated on the role the immune system plays in various disease processes.
Your immune system has dozens of mechanisms that recognize and react against agents of infection such as foreign substances, bacteria or viruses. These reactions can take the form of allergic disease or asthma, or other disorders including Primary Immune Deficiency, Secondary Immune Deficiency, and autoimmune diseases such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.Learn more about our Infusion Center
- Primary Immune Deficiency
- Secondary Immune Deficiency
- IGIV Therapy for Immune Deficiencies
- Scope of Therapies
- Who is a Candidate for Therapy?
Primary Immune Deficiency (PID) is the name for over 150 diseases that are usually inherited. Though most PID diseases are present in infancy and childhood, many people are asymptomatic until adulthood. Susceptibility to infections is one of the most common symptoms of PID.
PID Warning Signs:
- Family history of PID
- Two or more deep-seated infections per year
- Two or more serious sinus infections per year
- Two or more cases of pneumonia per year
- Two or more months on antibiotics with little effect
- Eight or more new ear infections per year
- Recurrent deep skin or organ abscesses
- Persistent thrush in mouth or elsewhere on skin after one year
- Need IV antibiotics to clear infections
- Infants fail to gain weight or grow normally
Secondary Immune Deficiencies occur when certain factors damage the immune system. Environmental factors, toxins, radiation, chemotherapy, burns, bacterial and viral infections, stress and other known agents and mechanisms affect various parts of the immune system.
IGIV, or Subcutaneous Ig, is the acronym for “immune globulins intravenous.” Immunoglobulins, disease-fighting antibodies released into the bloodstream, are extracted and purified from large donor pools. After a comprehensive patient evaluation, IGIV is administered to patients who cannot produce sufficient amounts of their own antibodies and whose immune systems have been compromised.
Immune Replacement: IGIV therapy is used as replacement therapy for primary immune deficiency patients. This improves their quality of life by reducing the number of infections and other negative side effects of the disorder.
Immune Modulation: Studies have shown that IGIV therapy can also be used to modulate or restore balance to a dysregulated immune system for people with secondary immune deficiencies.
In addition to IGIV therapy, IMMUNOe patients benefit from all the latest technology and therapeutics including Therapeutic Apherisis, Synagis , Remicade and Tysabri.
Cutting edge biologic antibody therapies include Remicade, intravenous gammaglobulin infusions, Xolair (anti IgE) for asthma, Synagis for RSV prevention, and advanced monoclonal antibody preparations such as Remicade, Tysabri, and Synagis designed to treat diseases such as Crohn’s, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and others.
When diagnosing a patient for therapy, many factors must be taken into consideration. As part of our evaluation, we conduct a complete review of the patient’s medical history and perform a thorough physical examination.
Therapy is recommended if the patient:
- frequently exhibits recurring illnesses
- suffers from chronic sinus, viral, bronchial or respiratory infections
- has recurring infections that are more severe when they return, requiring more time for recovery
- often requires antibiotics
- often experiences body aches and fatigue, or is listless or lethargic